Features and Pricing
WiscMail vs WiscMail Plus Feature Comparison
|IMAP and POP||wiscmail.wisc.edu||wiscmail.wisc.edu|
|Secure Logins (SSL)||YES||YES|
|E-Mail Address *||NetID@email@example.com|
|Individual User Accounts||YES||YES|
|Role Based Accounts||NO||YES|
|Delegated Admin Access **||NO||YES|
|Backups Available||NO||see table below|
|Migration Assistance||NO||YES (see table below)|
|Price||No Charge||see table below|
* Creation of a unique domain requires departments to maintain 10 or more WiscMail Plus accounts. Departments with less than 10 accounts will be setup in our general domain using the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
** The Delegated Administration interface is available to departmental domain adminstrators who maintain 10 or more WiscMail Plus accounts.
Three Types of WiscMail Plus Accounts
WiscMail Plus offers three types of accounts: user accounts, role-based accounts, and alias accounts.
- User accounts are additional mailboxes for individual users. They can be used in addition to or in place of other accounts (including WiscMail accounts). Your only limitation on email address is that it is unique within your domain (ie, there can be only one email@example.com, but there could be a firstname.lastname@example.org as well as a email@example.com).
- Role-based accounts are intended to support business functions or to serve multiple users sharing a single mailbox. They can be for a business role like firstname.lastname@example.org or a specific job like that doesn’t necessarily have a single person associated, such as email@example.com.
- Alias accounts are maintained by the departmental mail administrator and are used to accept mail for legacy email addresses and forward or redirect to new WiscMail or WiscMail Plus accounts. There is no user mailbox or login access associated with an alias account. There is no charge for Alias accounts when used by qualified domains. To be qualified, your department must be using the WiscMail Plus system.
|Role-Based Account||Alias Account|
|Quota Space||1 GB||1 GB||N/A|
|Additional Storage||No Charge||No Charge||N/A|
|Forwarding Address Required||NO||NO||YES|
|Maximum Forwarding Addresses||5||5||1|
|Backups Available *||YES||YES||NO|
|Migration Assistance **||YES||YES||YES|
|Account Cost||$1.25 / month – see Billing for more details||$1.25 / month – see Billing for more details||No Charge|
* WiscMail Plus backups are not offered by default to all domains. Accounts in the mailplus.wisc.edu domain cannot be backed up. To use backups, you must let the WiscMail Plus team know and we will work with you to develop a backup solution that meets your domain’s needs.
** Migration assistance is available to all unique WiscMail Plus domains. Accounts in the mailplus.wisc.edu domain do not qualify for migration services. For an overview of the kinds of migration services typically offered by the WiscMail Plus team, read Migrating to WiscMail Plus.
Account Control Using Delegated Administration
Delegated Administration is the name given to the new WiscMail Plus web interface that users and domain administrators use to create and manage their email accounts. WiscMail Plus domains can be created to give your departmental email greater definition (firstname.lastname@example.org). Once created, your WiscMail Plus domain and its users can be managed by the designated departmental Domain Administrator, 24 hours per day, without interaction with DoIT.