WiscMail has been UW-Madison’s central email service for many years, providing email to all faculty, staff and students. It is closely tied to WiscCal, WiscMail’s integrated calendaring system.
UW-Madison is currently in the process of transitioning from WiscMail/WiscCal to Office 365 for email and calendaring. As campus transitions to Office 365, some individual are still using WiscMail, while others have moved to Office 365.
For more information about the transition to Office 365, please visit the Email and Calendar Transition site.
- Free email and calendar account
- Integrated with WiscCal
- Accessible via a web browser
- Compatible with most mobile devices
- Works with a variety of desktop clients
- Virus protection and junk mail filtering
- Secure authentication
- WiscMail is available to all students, faculty, and staff for free.
- WiscMail Plus allows departments to purchase a domain.
See chart below for a comparison of the features available.
WiscMail vs. WiscMail Plus
|Integration with WiscCal||YES||YES|
|IMAP and POP||YES||YES|
|Secure Login (SSL)||YES||YES|
|Quota||Up to 25 GB||Up to 25 GB|
|Individual User Accounts||YES||YES|
|Role Based Accounts||NO||YES|
|Delegated Administration *||NO||YES|
|Backups Available **||NO||YES|
|Price||No Charge||see table under "Pricing"|
* The delegated administration interface -- called the Wisc Account Administration site -- is available to departmental domain administrators who maintain 10 or more WiscMail Plus accounts.
** WiscMail Plus backups are not enabled by default. If you would like to enable backups for your domain, please notify the WiscMail team. Backup is not offered for accounts in the mailplus.wisc.edu domain.