WiscMail has been UW-Madison’s central email service for many years, providing email to all faculty, staff and students. UW-Madison is currently in the process of transitioning from WiscMail/WiscCal to Office 365 for email and calendaring. As campus transitions to Office 365, some individual are still using WiscMail, while others have moved to Office 365.
For more information about the transition to Office 365, please visit the Email and Calendar Transition site.
- Free email and calendar account
- Integrated with WiscCal
- Accessible via a web browser
- Compatible with most mobile devices
- Works with a variety of desktop clients
- Virus protection and junk mail filtering
- Secure authentication
- WiscMail is available to all students, faculty, and staff for free.
- WiscMail Plus allows departments to purchase a domain.
See chart below for a comparison of the features available.
WiscMail vs. WiscMail Plus
|IMAP and POP||wiscmail.wisc.edu||wiscmail.wisc.edu|
|Secure Logins (SSL)||YES||YES|
|E-Mail Address *||NetID@email@example.com|
|Individual User Accounts||YES||YES|
|Role Based Accounts||NO||YES|
|Delegated Admin Access **||NO||YES|
|Backups Available||NO||see table below|
|Migration Assistance||NO||YES (see table below)|
|Price||No Charge||see table below|
* Creation of a unique domain requires departments to maintain 10 or more WiscMail Plus accounts. Departments with less than 10 accounts will be setup in our general domain using the format firstname.lastname@example.org.
** The Delegated Administration interface is available to departmental domain administrators who maintain 10 or more WiscMail Plus accounts.