Static WiscVPN service allows those with a UW NetID to use the same IP address each time they connect remotely to UW-Madison restricted network resources. This service should be especially useful for server or network administrators who need to secure a resource yet still access it remotely. This service is available only for departmental use. A valid DoIT number is required to obtain a static IP number.
If you need a static IP number for personal use, purchase a commercial ISP broadband service that provides static IP numbers. You can reserve static IPs online through the DoIT Tech Store. The static IP is activated by an automated process within four hours of being assigned.
You use the same VPN client for dynamic or static connections. The dynamic profile is bundled with the client; the static profile* must be added by the user of the static IP number. Download the client.
Instructions for installing and using a static profile: (For more detailed instructions, see DoIT Help Desk.)
- Reserve a WiscVPN static ip address There is no charge for a static ip, but you will need a DoIT number in order to reserve an address.
- Add your new static address to your restricted server or network resource access lists.
- Log into https://wiscvpn.doit.wisc.edu using your NetID username/password.
(more details: https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=12534 (Mac) and https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/page.php?id=11997 (Win))
- Make sure you are able to make a connection. (Using the default/dynamic profile.)
* Dynamic vs. Static: A dynamic profile will give a different IP address every time you use the profile. A static profile will give you the same IP address when you log in as long as you do no have an active connection somewhere else using a static profile. To use the static profile properly you need to get an IP addressed assigned to you (See step 1).